Nitish orders special action plan for SC/ST cases
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Friday ordered an action plan for speeding up investigation into cases of alleged atrocities on Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe people and expeditious disposal of the pending cases.
Kumar also ordered for setting up a special cell in SC & ST Welfare department for effective implementation of laws for the weaker sections.
The CM`s order came during a meeting with officials here, according to an official statement.
He also told officials to conduct a probe about people still carrying human waste on their head by an independent agency and rehabilitate the people found doing so.
Scheduled Caste constitutes around 15.7 per cent of Bihar`s total population. The state ranks third among all states and Union Territories in terms of SC population.
National Schedule Castes Commission Chairman PL Punia during a visit here in mid-October had charged the NDA government in Bihar with ignoring welfare of the weaker sections by spending merely one to two per cent of the total budget meant for them.
Whereas it is duty bound to spend at least 16 per cent of the Rs 28,000 crore outlay for running schemes for welfare of SCs, Punia had said.
Kumar instructed that proper infrastructural facilities like vehicles, police force and other resources should be provided to SC & ST police stations for their efficient functioning.
He instructed that District Magistrates should regularly review cases against weaker sections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death