Nitish orders special action plan for SC/ST cases
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Friday ordered an action plan for speeding up investigation into cases of alleged atrocities on Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe people and expeditious disposal of the pending cases.
Kumar also ordered for setting up a special cell in SC & ST Welfare department for effective implementation of laws for the weaker sections.
The CM`s order came during a meeting with officials here, according to an official statement.
He also told officials to conduct a probe about people still carrying human waste on their head by an independent agency and rehabilitate the people found doing so.
Scheduled Caste constitutes around 15.7 per cent of Bihar`s total population. The state ranks third among all states and Union Territories in terms of SC population.
National Schedule Castes Commission Chairman PL Punia during a visit here in mid-October had charged the NDA government in Bihar with ignoring welfare of the weaker sections by spending merely one to two per cent of the total budget meant for them.
Whereas it is duty bound to spend at least 16 per cent of the Rs 28,000 crore outlay for running schemes for welfare of SCs, Punia had said.
Kumar instructed that proper infrastructural facilities like vehicles, police force and other resources should be provided to SC & ST police stations for their efficient functioning.
He instructed that District Magistrates should regularly review cases against weaker sections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- US sues Pennsylvania town for ban on building mosque
- Turkey temporarily suspends human rights convention after failed coup
- 'Don't abandon search for MH370,' plead families of victims
- Islamic preacher Zakir Naik's 'aide' arrested over alleged terror links
- Bhagwant Mann video row: LS Speaker seeks report on Parliament security, may summon AAP MP