Nitish orders special action plan to deal cases of
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Friday ordered an action plan for speeding up investigation into cases of alleged atrocities on Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe people and expeditious disposal of the pending cases.
Kumar also ordered for setting up a special cell in SC & ST Welfare department for effective implementation of laws for the weaker sections.
The CM`s order came during a meeting with officials here, according to an official statement.
He also told officials to conduct a probe about people still carrying human waste on their head by an independent agency and rehabilitate the people found doing so.
Scheduled Caste constitutes around 15.7 percent of Bihar`s total population. The state ranks third among all states and Union Territories in terms of SC population.
National Schedule Castes Commission Chairman P L Punia during a visit here in mid-October had charged the NDA government in Bihar with ignoring welfare of the weaker sections by spending merely one to two per cent of the total budget meant for them.
Whereas it is duty bound to spend at least 16 per cent of the Rs 28,000 crore outlay for running schemes for welfare of SCs, Punia had said.
Kumar instructed that proper infrastructural facilities like vehicles, police force and other resources should be provided to SC & ST police stations for their efficient functioning.
He instructed that District Magistrates should regularly review cases against weaker sections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him