Nitish pats Bihar police on Yasin Bhatkal’s arrest
Patna: Under attack from BJP over his "silence" on terrorist Yasin Bhatkal`s arrest and role of Bihar police, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Monday said the cops acted in a highly professional manner and it was not for politicians to comment on it.
"Is political executive a spokesman of police?" Kumar told reporters, reacting to former Deputy Chief Minister and BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi questioning his silence on arrest of Bhatkal and his associate Assadulla Akhtar alias Haddi from Raxual on Indo-Nepal border.
BJP has alleged that Bihar Police on direction from "above" did not claim the arrest of Bhatkal and Haddi, persuading Uttar Pradesh to show the arrest, and also failed to question him.
Complimenting the police for acting in a "highly professional" manner, he said "On the input of Intelligence Bureau, Bihar police with other central agencies worked hard to arrest the two top IM operatives...Police job is to perform duty honestly and not go around thumping chest," the CM said with state police chief Abhyanand by his side.
The CM emerging from "Janata Ke Darbar Me Mukhya Mantri" programme said if the Director General of Police recommends for awarding the Bihar police personnel involved in the arrest of Bhatkal and his associate Assadulla Akhtar alias Haddi from Raxual on Indo-Nepal border, the state government would definitely look into it positively.
In a scathing attack on estranged partner BJP, Kumar said "they have become unemployed after being sacked from the government and in desperation is trying to derive political mileage out of any issue."
"Becoming expert of any issue has become a fashion among some leaders and party...On slight opportunity they start giving `mahagyan` (expertise)," he said, taking a potshot at his former Deputy Sushil Modi without naming him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire