Nitish pats Bihar police on Yasin Bhatkal’s arrest
Patna: Under attack from BJP over his "silence" on terrorist Yasin Bhatkal`s arrest and role of Bihar police, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Monday said the cops acted in a highly professional manner and it was not for politicians to comment on it.
"Is political executive a spokesman of police?" Kumar told reporters, reacting to former Deputy Chief Minister and BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi questioning his silence on arrest of Bhatkal and his associate Assadulla Akhtar alias Haddi from Raxual on Indo-Nepal border.
BJP has alleged that Bihar Police on direction from "above" did not claim the arrest of Bhatkal and Haddi, persuading Uttar Pradesh to show the arrest, and also failed to question him.
Complimenting the police for acting in a "highly professional" manner, he said "On the input of Intelligence Bureau, Bihar police with other central agencies worked hard to arrest the two top IM operatives...Police job is to perform duty honestly and not go around thumping chest," the CM said with state police chief Abhyanand by his side.
The CM emerging from "Janata Ke Darbar Me Mukhya Mantri" programme said if the Director General of Police recommends for awarding the Bihar police personnel involved in the arrest of Bhatkal and his associate Assadulla Akhtar alias Haddi from Raxual on Indo-Nepal border, the state government would definitely look into it positively.
In a scathing attack on estranged partner BJP, Kumar said "they have become unemployed after being sacked from the government and in desperation is trying to derive political mileage out of any issue."
"Becoming expert of any issue has become a fashion among some leaders and party...On slight opportunity they start giving `mahagyan` (expertise)," he said, taking a potshot at his former Deputy Sushil Modi without naming him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre