Nitish pitches for Bharat Ratna to Lohia, Karpoori Thakur
Patna: Senior JD(U) leader Nitish Kumar on Tuesday proposed that socialist leader Ram Manohar Lohia and former Bihar Chief Minister Karpoori Thakur be considered for Bharat Ratna for their contribution to the country.
Conferring the highest civilian award of the country on them would increase the prestige of the award, Kumar said on a social networking site.
"This will happen only when this award is given to those who have really done great work involving sacrifice and hard work for the country," he said.
Pitching in favour of Lohia, the former Bihar Chief Minister said Lohia prepared the ground for the role of opposition in Parliament when the country was in the nascent stage of democracy.
"Whatever Ram Manohar Lohia did in the socio-political field is invaluable. He changed the thousand-year old social structure by the power of democracy and by democratisation of the society he changed the direction of politics in the country," said Kumar.
"The concept of non-alignment in India`s foreign policy was Lohia`s contribution. He opposed the capturing of Tibet by China, started agitation against Nepal`s Ranashahi (monarchy) and went to jail for the Liberation of Goa," added Kumar.
Lauding Karpoori Thakur`s role, Kumar said it was Thakur who had implemented the socio-political awareness brought in the country by Lohia.
"Thakur gave place to the marginalised people and communities in the administrative system, strengthened the political stream to fight social ills and inspired the future leaders to the fact that the aim of social equality could be achieved with the help of politics," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert