Nitish refers to special state status for Bihar
Patna: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Friday
referred to his demand that the Centre give special state
status to Bihar at the Global Bihar Summit 2012 and said that
the path to make it a developed state looked difficult.
"I want to score a point that the central government
should not give any financial package to Bihar. What we need
is that the Centre accord a special state status. It will pave
the way for further development and investments.
"We have changed the image of Bihar during the past
six years of rule. A lot of work has been done, but a lot more
is required to be done. But the path of development looks
difficult in future and we need cooperation from all, "Kumar
He said that the Planning Commission, whose deputy
chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia was present, had always
cooperated with the state.
"People in Planning Commission show interest in Bihar
and I anticipate they will continue to help Bihar," the chief
Speaking after the inauguration of the summit by Nepal
Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai, he suggested that the state
and Nepal should develop a joint system to avoid the damages
caused by recurring floods in Bihar.
"Bihar has always laid stress on a joint flood
prevention system," he said.
Referring to the Indian Ambassador in Nepal Jayant
Prasad, Kumar said "the representative of the central
government is sitting here and it is possible that the
initiatives for tackling flood-related problems will be taken
Referring to Bihar`s high rate of GDP, Kumar said "we
don`t consider GDP as the key indicator of development. We
want human development as socio-economic development and
progress in education is the real indicator of development.
"We have developed our own model to ensure development
with justice," he said dwelling on improvement in healthcare
system and enrolment in schools and colleges.
Referring to the agriculture roadmap being finalised
in Bihar for boosting agriculture production and productivity,
he clarified that the summit had been organised not to
mobilise investments, but to elicit suggestions and guidelines
for the state`s progress.
"I have a dream that people from even a remote place
in Kishanganj, Kaimur and West Champaran can reach the state
capital within less then six hours. I think we will realise
the dream by ensuring better road connectivity between remote
areas and the state capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'