Nitish reviews atrocities against SC/STs in Bihar
Patna: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Friday directed for time-bound compilation of injury report to check incidents of atrocities against the SC/ST people in Bihar as well to ensure expeditious probe in such matters.
Presiding over a state-level vigilance and monitoring committee under the Scheduled Castes and Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989 and Rules 1995, the Chief Minister directed the officials to compile injury report in a time-bound manner in cases of atrocities against the SC/SCs, according to Principal Secretary (SC/ST Welfare) K P Ramaiah.
Stating that compilation of the injury report was necessary to contain atrocities against the SC/ST people as it helped in investigation of such cases, Kumar asked the senior officials to start departmental proceedings against those employees failing to compile the report on time, he said.
The Chief Minister directed Chief Secretary A K Sinha to frame a guideline for preparation of injury report in cases of atrocities on SC/ST people within a stipulated time and a high-level committee comprising the DGP and the principal secretaries of Health and SC/ST Welfare departments, IG (Weaker Sections) among others to monitor progress in investigation in such cases, Ramaiah said.
Kumar further directed for review of pension and compensation to ensure timely payment of such benefits to the victims of atrocities under the SC/ST Prevention of Atrocities Act, 1989, he said.
The Chief Minister asked for framing of rules for recruitment on 38 posts - one in each district - for monitoring and assessment of atrocities cases against SC/ST people, in addition to preparation of a schedule to assess the capabilities of special public prosecutors to bring cases of atrocities against the weaker sections to a logical conclusion in an expeditious manner, he added.
A schedule would also be prepared for regular meeting of the vigilance and monitoring committee at the district level to review atrocities against the SC/STs, Ramaiah said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert