Nitish should resign over Chhath stampede on moral ground: Lalu
Patna: The Opposition in Bihar on Tuesday made a scathing attack on Nitish Kumar government for the death of 17 people in a stampede during Chhath festival with RJD president Lalu Prasad demanding that the Chief Minister should resign on moral ground.
"Nitish should tender resignation on moral ground in the wake of this vast human tragedy on the occasion of Chhath... If he fails to do so God will punish him," Prasad told reporters.
Stating that "adminstrative failure" was responsible for the yesterday`s tragedy, Prasad, who airdashed here this afternoon, demanded that a case be registered under section 302 (murder) of IPC against officials responsible for the construction of the makeshift Chhachri bridge that caved in at the ghat triggering the stampede.
The RJD chief announced Rs 50,000 each from the party fund for those killed in the incident and later met families of the victims, 10 of whom were women and children.
On the Chief Minister`s appeal that politics should be kept out of human tragedy, Prasad, a known bete noire of Kumar, said, "How can we remain silent on such a big incident... Responsibility has to be fixed for the incident."
Other Opposition parties like Congress, LJP, NCP and Left too hit out at the government over the tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Amartya Sen says Modi govt ousted him from Nalanda University
- No confirmation on meeting with Manohar Parrikar on OROP: Ex-servicemen
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends