Nitish slams BJP for politicising mid-day meal tragedy
Zee Media Bureau
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Wednesday hit out at his critics for attacking him for keeping mum on the recent mid-day meal tragedy in the state, and said it was his ill-health that prevented him from visiting Chhapra in Saran district.
"Why I didn’t go there, why was I quiet, a lot of discussion took place on this. I couldn`t visit because my leg was injured and at least the local media knows it," Nitish told a press conference here.
"We got information in the evening (of July 16) after the incident happened. We took some immediate measures and the decisions were taken at my level only," the CM said.
"We did all what we could do," he added.
Nitish said he was "deeply saddened by the incident" and had been "monitoring the situation constantly".
"It is not an ordinary incident," Nitish said further, adding "in my public life, it has been one of the most saddening and heart wrenching incidents".
"How could someone be an enemy of children?" he asked.
Promising that those behind the incident will be punished, the JD(U) leader said the matter is being investigated and all angles will be probed.
"The children had alerted many times about the quality of food. We will probe why warnings were not heeded to," Nitish said. "The quantity of pesticide was so much that it indicates something," he said further, hinting at a conspiracy destabilise his government.
"The conspiracy has been confirmed in the Forensic Science Laboratory report as well in the versions of natives of Mashrakh where the incident took place," Nitish, who came before the media for the first time after the Chhapra incident on Tuesday last week, said.
An SIT has already been formed, the CM informed.
Echoing Kumar`s `conspiracy` theory, Bihar Director General of Police Abhayanand said prima facie it appears that the presence of poison in huge quantity in the food for children cannot be due to mistake and the Forensic Science Laboratory findings about huge quantity of poison by way of pesticide organo phosphorous are `outstanding observations`.
"In criminal science the degree of injury proves the intent behind the crime," he said.
Nitish further vowed to take measures to improve the mid-day meal scheme and its security.
"We will also speak to the Centre on the issue. We should not shift the blame on the Centre or vice versa. It is a national scheme; we have to run it and we take it as a challenge."
Nitish did not name the BJP and the RJD but hit out at the opposition parties, asking "how could someone call a bandh when they should be helping the victims?"
"I am not the one who stays mum or sits at home when something like this happens. There could always be a pressing reason why one couldn’t visit the tragedy site. I can`t stoop so low to do politics on such a matter. I have a responsibility and am aware of it," Nitish said.
Charging the BJP and RJD with being `impatient` to destabilise his government and capture power `anyhow`, Nitish said, "I will be in power and continue to work to fulfil the promise I had made to voters in the 2010 Assembly Elections ... Nobody can do any harm to me till I enjoy confidence of voters and blessings of the Almighty."
The Bihar Chief Minister also dismissed the opposition charge of loosing vital time in shifting critically ill students to PMCH by taking them first to Chhapra sadar hospital.
"The response time was quickest...Doctors at Chhapra did their best and when it was thought the children would get better treatment at PMCH, they were at once moved there," the Chief Minister said adding he himself monitored the situation and gave instructions.
"If there is any doubt I am prepared for any inquiry into the medical issue after the incident," he said.
Nitish also dismissed any rift with party president Sharad Yadav over the mid-day meal tragedy.
"There is no conflict with Sharad Yadav on the mid-day meal case ... He has already issued clarification over the statements attributed to him," Kumar told reporters.
A total 23 children had died after eating poisoned food served to them by the government-run Dharamsati Gandaman school on July 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'