Nitish wants to keep criminal record under wraps: RJD
Patna: The chief opposition RJD today
accused Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar of "declining to
contest" the assembly polls "to keep his criminal antecedents
"It`s common knowledge that a contestant has to
disclose the details of his or her criminal antecedents in the
affidavit mandated by the Election Commission and Kumar facing
serious charge too will be required to do so", the RJD leaders
Jagatanand Singh, Shakeel Ahmed Khan and Ram Kripal Yadav said
at a joint press conference.
Claiming that proceedings were still pending against
Kumar in a case related to killing of a Congress activist
Satyendra Singh at a booth at Pandarak under Barh
parliamentary constituency at the time of polls in 1991, they
said "the Chief Minister in the given circumstances stands to
lose his clean image in the eyes of the people as he will have
to declare the criminal antecedents in the affidavit."
They dared Kumar to take electoral plunge if he was not afraid of "acknowledging his own criminal antecedents."
"The people of Bihar must know that their Chief
Minister has cases registered against him for murder, booth
grabbing and kidnapping of a witness," they said.
Kumar was in the fray from Barh constituency in 1991
on a Janata Dal ticket and police had in its final report
cleared Kumar of all charges against him in the case long
time ago, official sources said.
Trashing Kumar`s claim of development and an improved
law and order situation in Bihar during the NDA government`s
tenure, the RJD leaders alleged that the conduct of the ensuing
assembly polls in Bihar could not be possible in "a free
and fair manner" keeping in mind Kumar`s track record in past.
The RJD leaders accused the Chief Minister of hatching
plans for booth grabbing by appointing his trusted officials
to key posts to `influence` the outcome of the forthcoming
assembly polls in favour of the ruling NDA.
They demanded that the Election Commission appoint its
special observers who should also “monitor the activities of
"The EC should take serious view of Kumar`s
involvement in criminal case in the past to win the
parliamentary polls and appoint its own special observers to
monitor the latter`s activities”, they urged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced