Nitish writes to Chidambaram to implement Rajan panel report
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Tuesday asked the Centre to implement within six weeks the recommendations of Raghuram Rajan panel report, which put the state in the category of the least developed ones.
In a letter to Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram, he said the proportional share between the Centre and the state in centrally sponsored schemes should be changed for the least developed states like the one existing for special category states now.
As per existing norms, special category states at present pay only 10 per cent share in the centrally sponsored schemes and the rest 90 per cent is borne by the Union government.
Also, the funds under the schemes do not lapse in the case of special category states.
Kumar also asked Chidambaram to allocate additional gross budgetary support to the Planning Commission for accommodating the financial requirement.
He also sought the evolution of a fiscal regime of tax breaks and concessions for incentivising private investments in the least developed states on the lines of the treatment currently given to special category states.
Kumar, who has made a strong case for according special category status for Bihar, said it should be done within next six weeks. He said though he had doubts on the choice of variables which should have been per capita income instead of per capita consumption and the weights assigned to them, he had welcomed the report.
He said it would have been more rational and appropriate if per capita income, per capita consumption of electricity and credit-deposit ratio had been included as variables while evolving a composite development index.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing