Nitish’s claim on police performance hollow: Siddiqui
Patna: Leader of Opposition in Bihar Assembly Abdul Bari Siddiqui on Friday described as `hollow` Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s claim that state police had
record-breaking performance in netting wrong-doers which was
evident in the acquittal of all those named in the killing of
Munger SP KC Surendra Babu six years ago.
Siddiqui, who was speaking to reporters, said the Munger
court`s order to acquit the accused exposed the way in which
the criminal-justice administration system is handled by the
The acquittal suggested that the real culprits were the
Maoists and the state police had falsely implicated innocent
persons in the case.
``It also reflected that the state government adopted
an attitude to help Maoists for receiving their support during
the assembly polls,`` he said.
Babu and five other policemen were killed at Sonerwa
village in Munger district on January 5, 2005 and two cases on
the incident were tried by the court of the First Additional
Sessions Judge, Munger, who acquitted all the accused for want
of sufficient evidence.
Siddiqui said out of the 22 witnesses, 20 were policemen
who failed to depose before the court in the two cases thereby
weakening the prosecution. ``The real perpetrators thus went
``This has put a question mark on the state government`s
credibility about ensuring conviction of those perperating
criminal incidents,`` he said adding the state government`s
alleged apathy in challenging the lower court`s orders in the
higher court also reflected that the Nitish Kumar government
is not serious to punish the killers of the erstwhile Munger
``It is also a matter of great dissastisfaction that
whatever evidences the prosecution produced in the lower court
were rejected,`` he said.
In reply to a question, he said it was correct that the
cases were registered during the erstwhile RJD government but
the NDA government failed to take it to its logical
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’