No arrest so far in Bihar teen burning case
Patna: Karuna Devi is shocked and inconsolable. It has been four days since her 17-year-old son, who was the main witness in her gang rape case, was burnt alive in their village in Bihar`s Nawada district, yet no arrest has been made so far.
"Police officials are behaving as if my son was not burnt alive. They are yet to take any action against the accused. All the nine accused are roaming freely and we are frightened," said Karuna Devi, who is in her mid-40s.
Chintu Kumar was set on fire Sunday afternoon after being locked up in a room at his house in Garobigha village under Narhat police station, about 150 km from here. Karuna Devi said the nine accused included those involved in her gang rape in 2006.
"I fail to understand why named accused were not arrested. Police have been playing a dubious role. I have lost my hopes... There is nothing left for me, but police are yet to believe me," she said over telephone from her village with the help of a social activist.
"My only son has been snatched from me... How will I live alone," she said, sobbing.
Karuna Devi was gang raped in 2006 by five men of her village, and her son was allegedly being threatened to withdraw the case and not appear as a witness in court.
"The rape accused repeatedly threatened to burn him alive, and finally they did it. Where is the rule of law in Bihar... There is no place for the poor to seek justice," she said.
She regretted having voted for Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s party, Janata Dal (United). "I don`t understand why I voted for Nitish Kumar when he failed to protect me and provide me justice," she said.
Karuna Devi said the rape accused were powerful men -- both moneywise as well as politically.
They warned me of dire consequences if I did not withdraw the case against them. They also said they would buy out the police and judges. After all, they are rich people... we are poor and weak."
Police are investigating her son`s alleged murder. Magadh range Deputy Inspector General of Police N.H. Khan had Tuesday visited the village, where he met the local residents and police officials to enquire about the incident.
District police, however, seem to be downplaying the incident. Nawada Superintendent of Police Sunder Lal Das declared Chintu Kumar was "insane" and set himself on fire, even before police could complete the probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!