No case against Ranvir Yadav : police
Khagaria: Ranvir Yadav, who was captured on video cameras snatching an automatic weapon from police and firing in the air to disperse protesters near Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s public meeting at Khagaria town, has no case lodged against him, district police superintendent said on Saturday.
"No one has filed case with police against Yadav for terrorizing anybody by branding a weapon on Thursday and so the question of giving him a clean chit does not arise," Khagaria superintendent of police Mithu Prasad said.
Yadav, who is the husband of JD(U) MLA Poonam Devi, and his supporters were also caught on camera beating up the protesters, comprising contractual teachers to the clear way for Kumar to proceed towards the venue of the public meeting as part of his `Adhikar Yatra` to mobilise support for his demand of special status to the state.
Yadav`s alleged `brazen act of intimidation` was roundly condemned by the opposition parties even as the ruling JD(U) defended him for committing a lighter crime than the large-scale violence and arson by the protesters.
Bihar government has constituted a SIT to probe incidents of violence and arson in Khagaria even as the arrests in connection with it rose to 37. Raids are on to nab other accused, the police said.
The police had yesterday lodged FIRs against 673 protesters, including 600 unidentified ones for their alleged involvement in the violence on that day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read