No objection to Food Security Bill: Nitish
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar
on Monday said he had no objection to the Food Security Bill
proposed by the Centre but said the government should keep in
mind the state`s concerns.
"I have given my point-wise opinion to the draft I
received for the proposed bill... I have no objection but I
will like that the state`s concerns be kept in mind," he told
"There are two-three concerns, which I explained when the
draft was sent, like the identification of BPL be made by an
independent commission," he said, adding the Centre should
bear the financial burden for implementing it.
"The states are not in a position to meet the burden on
this head," he said.
Kumar said the commission should have representation from
people of weaker sections of society, apart from
representatives from minorities, SC, ST, backward class and
women from rural background.
In reply to a question, he dismissed Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee`s claim that Centre had provided the package
along the lines demanded by Bihar and stressed the need for
according special category status to it in view of its
economic and industrial backwardness.
"Now that the central government has chosen to provide
central assistance as a special plan to West Bengal for
development of backward regions, our case for special
treatment to Bihar because of its economic and industrial
backwardness, high population density and low tax base is all
the more justified," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof