No one should take credit for cop`s release: Lalu
Patna: Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad on Monday said that though he was happy that the Maoists have freed three abducted Bihar policemen, "no one should take credit" for their release.
"We are happy that the three policemen were released, but no one should take credit for it," Lalu Prasad told reporters here.
"Everyone made efforts for their release. All of us have appealed for their release," he said.
The three policemen - Abhay Prasad Yadav, Rupesh Kumar Sinha and Ehsan Khan - were set free early Monday, seven days after they were abducted in Lakhisarai district. They were released in Lakho Chak area of Lakhisarai and are now in police custody, said state police chief Neelmani.
The release comes days after the bullet-riddled body of Lucas Tete, another abducted policemen, was found near a forest in Lakhisarai district. He was killed by the Maoists Sept 3.
The opposition RJD chief said he was sad that Tete was killed.
"I am sad for it," Lalu Prasad said and urged Maoists to shun violence and join the mainstream for peace in the country.
Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) chief Ramvilas Paswan also expressed happiness that the kidnapped policemen were free but blamed the state government for the delay in their release.
The four policemen, including Lucas Tete who was killed, were abducted by Maoists after a six-hour gunfight in Lakhisarai Aug 29.
The gunbattle left seven policemen dead and 10 injured. The Maoists claimed the gunfight was in retaliation for the killing of their leader Cherukuri Rajkumar alias Azad and a journalist on the night of July 1-2 in Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM