No panic buying of salt in Bihar, says state govt
Patna: The Bihar government on Friday claimed that there was no panic buying of salt in the state after the state government launched crackdown on hoarders, rumour mongers by arresting 15 people and also a publicity campaign about abundant availability of salt.
"The artificial crisis about shortage of salt spread by the rumour mongers with vested interests has been successfully overcome through a massive publicity blitz and crackdown against the hoarders and rumour mongers," Principal secretary (Food and Consumer Protection) Shishir Sinha told reporters.
"We have succeeded in convincing the consumers about abundant availability of salt in the market and with the stockists as well as the source and supply lines to Bihar functioning as usual," Sinha said.
There has been no report of panic buying of salt from anywhere in Bihar and the consumers have been reported to be purchasing the commodity as per requirement at the rate of Minimum Retailed Price (MRP), Sinha said.
The Principal Secretary (Food and Consumer Protection) said that on the direction of the Chief Minister Nitish Kumar the government machinery was activated in a hyper mode yesterday and multi-pronged action plan launched to nip the crisis about artificial shortage of salt in the bud.
Sinha said that so far 15 people have been arrested and 21 FIRs lodged against those indulging in rumour mongering about the shortage of salt in various districts and added that the profiling of those arrested in this connection was being done to find out their role in creation of artificial crisis about salt triggering panic buying by the consumers.
More arrests and FIRs were likely in this connection, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India