No plan to arm SPOs in Bihar, says DGP
Patna: There is no plan to arm Special
Police Officers (SPO) in Bihar as was done in Maoist-hit
Chhattisgarh, Director General of Police Neelmani said on Wednesday.
"The SPOs in Bihar are not equipped with weapons and we
have no proposal to arm them in future," Neelmani told
reporters after reviewing performance of police at a
At present, the state has 6,000 SPOs under a scheme
launched by the Centre, he said.
Referring to the attack in Kareili village of Munger
district on July three by Maoists during which six villagers
were killed, Neelmani ruled out any lapse on the part of
"Police acted swiftly after receiving the information
about the attack and arrested some Maoists," he said.
He said he had sought deployment of nine Deputy
Commandant-rank officials for stepping up offensive against
Maoists-hit districts in Bihar.
"If we receive services of such officials from BSF and
CRPF, it will help intensify the drive against the ultra-left
outfit," he said.
Stating that the Centre had lauded the state`s role in
curbing Maoists, he said police had achieved success during
recent encounters in East Champaran and Banka districts and
seized 26 weapons. "Several Maoists leaders and including
their politburo members were also arrested," Neelmani added.
Referring to the meeting with top police officials of
the state, Neelmani said pendency of cases with the law
enforcing agency would not be tolerated.
He said ten officers in the rank of Deputy
Superintendent and 12 in the rank of Inspector had been found
guilty of lapses leading to pendency of the cases and strict
action would be taken against them.
"We have also removed such officials from field
duty... we will initiate departmental proceedings against
"We`ll also keep close watch on the performance of the
district police chief in the event of a rise in crime graph,"
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative