`No problem if Centre gives special package to WB`
Patna: Bihar government has no problem if the Centre provides special package to West Bengal, but there should be no discrimination against Bihar, Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar said on Tuesday.
"Why should Bihar have any problem with any state getting special package from the Centre? He asked in reply to question whether the West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was coercing the UPA government to announce special package in lieu of her support to the presidential candidate.
The Central government, however, should not be allowed to be blackmailed by anybody merely to stay in power, he said without taking Banerjee`s name.
The Bihar government has no problem if West Bengal or any other state gets special package to tide over fiscal problems, Modi said, adding that at the same time the Centre should ensure that the Bihar`s economic interests should not be compromised.
The Bihar Deputy Chief Minister urged the Centre to consider the state government`s demand for assistance of Rs 4000 crore annually under the 12th five-year plan.
Modi lauded the RJD supremo Lalu Prasad for demanding three Central universities for Bihar and said that the latter should take up the matter with the Union HRD minister Kapil Sibal and the UPA government as he enjoys good rapport with them.
He said that Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had talks with Sibal on the Central universities issue and hoped that an amicable solution could be worked out during the second round of discussion to be held shortly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh