`No problem if Centre gives special package to WB`
Patna: Bihar government has no problem if the Centre provides special package to West Bengal, but there should be no discrimination against Bihar, Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar said on Tuesday.
"Why should Bihar have any problem with any state getting special package from the Centre? He asked in reply to question whether the West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was coercing the UPA government to announce special package in lieu of her support to the presidential candidate.
The Central government, however, should not be allowed to be blackmailed by anybody merely to stay in power, he said without taking Banerjee`s name.
The Bihar government has no problem if West Bengal or any other state gets special package to tide over fiscal problems, Modi said, adding that at the same time the Centre should ensure that the Bihar`s economic interests should not be compromised.
The Bihar Deputy Chief Minister urged the Centre to consider the state government`s demand for assistance of Rs 4000 crore annually under the 12th five-year plan.
Modi lauded the RJD supremo Lalu Prasad for demanding three Central universities for Bihar and said that the latter should take up the matter with the Union HRD minister Kapil Sibal and the UPA government as he enjoys good rapport with them.
He said that Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had talks with Sibal on the Central universities issue and hoped that an amicable solution could be worked out during the second round of discussion to be held shortly.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know