‘Nothing wrong in IUML Minister`s speech’
Thiruvananthapuram: Seeking to end the row over PWD Minister and IUML leader Ibrahim Kunju`s remark that UDF rule is controlled by it, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Wednesday said there was nothing wrong in it as he had only urged party workers to be more responsible in their activities.
"It is very unfortunate that a portion of the minister`s speech has been extracted, trying to create misunderstanding in the minds of people`, he said to questions in this regard at a cabinet briefing here.
Chandy said Kunju, speaking at a party function had only meant that Indian Union Muslim League cadres have to be more responsible and it would harm both the Front and the party if they behave irresponsibly.
"Though Congress is leader of the Front,it has never shown supremacy over other Front partners. All coalition partners respect each other and have equal recognition`, he added.
The government found itself in an embarrassing position after it faced attacks from several quarters over the remark by the Minister at a meeting at Palakkad on October 6.
Besides the Opposition CPI(M) and BJP, two major Hindu community outfits also came out against the statement which they said had `exposed` IUMLs supremacy in the coalition.
Nair Service Society and Sree Narayana Dharma Paripalana Yogam, representing the powerful Nair and Ezhava communities, said minorities were trying to establish their hold over the majority community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!