One dead, seven missing as boat capsizes
Araria: One woman died and seven others went missing after an overcrowded boat capsized at Bakenia Ghat in Araria district this morning, police said.
When the boat was in mid-stream crossing the Bakra river with about 12 people on board, it tilted and sank.
The boat was small and was carrying passengers more than its capacity, said Palasi Circle Officer Bhola Chaubey.
"One woman identified as Meera Devi (35) of Dharamganj village got drowned and four swam to safety. Seven persons are missing and we are searching for them," he said.
The passengers, belonging to the same village, were crossing the river to go to their agricultural fields.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list