One killed as students go on rampage in Patna
Patna: One person was killed and 10 others,
including policemen, were injured after students went on a
rampage demanding action against some private coaching centres,
which they claimed had allegedly duped them.
The victim, who succumbed to injuries at a hospital, was
accidentally fired upon by a guard posted in front of an
institute, police said.
Three policemen were injured in the stone pelting and
lathicharge, they said, adding three students have been
Trouble erupted when a large number of students went on
the rampage demanding action against the institutes for
allegedly duping them.
Hundreds of agitated students blocked roads in Bazaar
Samiti, Pathar Ki Masjid, Kankerbagh, Kadamkuan and Rajendra
Nagar localities, police said.
They also pelted stones at the coaching institutions and
vehicles, demanding shutting down of the centres, police said,
adding that they had to resort to mild lathicharge.
Teargas shells were fired to disperse the agitators, who
had set police motorcycles on fire, after police failed to
control the situation.
Yesterday, the students had blocked the Bazaar Samiti
Road and demonstrated in front of coaching centres alleging
that their owners had duped them under the pretext of
A CRPF constable, who had suffered head injuries during
the protest at Rajendra Nagar locality last evening, today
died at the Patna Medical College Hospital, they added.
Nitish orders probe
Meanwhile, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar today ordered a probe by Patna District Magistrate into allegations
of malpractices against private coaching institutions by
Kumar, soon after his arrival from New Delhi, held a
high-level meeting with top officials, including Chief
Secretary Anoop Mukherjee, Special Secretary (Home) Sunil
Kumar, Patna Divisional Commissioner S Bharthwal and
secretaries of the state human resource department, an
official spokesman said.
Kumar reviewed the situation arising out of today`s
student agitation and asked for a proposal to formulate a
policy for regulating the private coaching institutes.
He appealed to the agitating students to be calm and
assured them of action against erring coaching institutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Low job satisfaction can hamper your mental health
- Bold scenes of only big stars are praised, feels Zareen Khan
- Priyanka, Aziz making tectonic shifts in business: Poorna Jagannathan
- On Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu's feats: Hats off to women for saving our respect in front of whole world, says Pullela Gopichand
- WATCH: Usain Bolt attempted javelin throw at Rio 2016 - His effort will shock you!