One killed, four injured in Bihar, SSB opens fire
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has ordered investigations into a shooting incident in Bihar`s Sitamarhi district early Saturday in which paramilitary troopers opened fire on a group of villagers, killing one person and injuring four others.
Villagers were protesting over the alleged molestation of a woman by one of the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) troopers camping near their Bairgania village close to the India-Nepal border.
"The chief minister has ordered Bihar Police Chief Abhyanand to probe the incident and submit a report within 24 hours," an official in the Chief Minister`s Office here said.
According to the official, Nitish Kumar is keeping a close watch on the situation. Abhayanand has left for Sitamarhi to conduct an inquiry into the shooting.
According to police, a group of villagers late Friday evening protested the alleged misconduct of SSB personnel and pelted stones at their camp in the Bairgania village area of Sitamarhi district.
"On Saturday morning, some villagers tried to set the SSB camp on fire. In order to disperse them, SSB jawans had to open fire, in which one person was killed and four were injured," a district official told agencies.
According to police, at least 50 rounds were fired by the SSB personnel.Villagers have blocked the roads in the area and are demanding action against the troopers.
Abhayanand earlier directed top officials, including Inspector General of Tirhut zone Gupteshwar Pandey, to rush to Sitamarhi and take a stock of the situation, a police official said.
"Pandey and other top police officials will be camping in Sitamarhi till the situation improves," a police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America