Panchayat sets free rapists; NHRC seeks report
New Delhi: The NHRC on Thursday issued notice
to Bihar Government seeking a report within four weeks in
connection with the decision of a village panchayat to set
free alleged rapists by just imposing a fine of Rs one lakh.
Taking cognizance of a complaint based on a media
report alleging that a village panchayat in Bihar decided to
hush up a case of gang rape by four men by asking them to
merely pay a fine of Rs one lakh, the NHRC asked the Chief
Secretary and Director General of Police in Bihar to submit
detailed reports within four weeks in the matter.
"The Panchayat`s sense of justice did not stop at that
point as they also forced the victim to divorce her husband.
The incident is reported to have happened at village Girdih
district Jamui in October last year," the Commission said.
It said the complainant has prayed for inquiry into
the matter after registering an FIR, providing appropriate
police protection to the victim and directing to initiate
other actions as deemed fit in the matter.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan