Panchayat sets free rapists; NHRC seeks report
New Delhi: The NHRC on Thursday issued notice
to Bihar Government seeking a report within four weeks in
connection with the decision of a village panchayat to set
free alleged rapists by just imposing a fine of Rs one lakh.
Taking cognizance of a complaint based on a media
report alleging that a village panchayat in Bihar decided to
hush up a case of gang rape by four men by asking them to
merely pay a fine of Rs one lakh, the NHRC asked the Chief
Secretary and Director General of Police in Bihar to submit
detailed reports within four weeks in the matter.
"The Panchayat`s sense of justice did not stop at that
point as they also forced the victim to divorce her husband.
The incident is reported to have happened at village Girdih
district Jamui in October last year," the Commission said.
It said the complainant has prayed for inquiry into
the matter after registering an FIR, providing appropriate
police protection to the victim and directing to initiate
other actions as deemed fit in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UK grants asylum to Maldives' ex-president Mohamed Nasheed
- North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader
- Trump economics would 'bankrupt America', says Clinton
- 2,000 migrants rescued from Mediterranean: Italian coast guard
- Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal along with a likely 10-member cabinet to take oath today