Panchayat sets free rapists; NHRC seeks report
New Delhi: The NHRC on Thursday issued notice
to Bihar Government seeking a report within four weeks in
connection with the decision of a village panchayat to set
free alleged rapists by just imposing a fine of Rs one lakh.
Taking cognizance of a complaint based on a media
report alleging that a village panchayat in Bihar decided to
hush up a case of gang rape by four men by asking them to
merely pay a fine of Rs one lakh, the NHRC asked the Chief
Secretary and Director General of Police in Bihar to submit
detailed reports within four weeks in the matter.
"The Panchayat`s sense of justice did not stop at that
point as they also forced the victim to divorce her husband.
The incident is reported to have happened at village Girdih
district Jamui in October last year," the Commission said.
It said the complainant has prayed for inquiry into
the matter after registering an FIR, providing appropriate
police protection to the victim and directing to initiate
other actions as deemed fit in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal