Pappu Yadav released from jail
Patna: Four days after the court acquitted former RJD MP Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav on charges of killing CPI-M leader Ajit Sarkar, he was formally released from jail here on Tuesday, police officials said.
Citing lack of evidence, the Patna High Court last Friday acquitted Yadav in the case related to Sarkar`s murder.
Left Front parties in Bihar last Saturday had urged the CBI to appeal in the Supreme Court against the acquittal.
"Yadav was released from the high security Beur Jail here," a police official said.
Hundreds of Yadav`s supporters had gathered outside the jail on Tuesday morning. They shouted slogans in his favour and distributed sweets after he was released.
Yadav`s wife and former MP Ranjita Ranjan and several RJD and Congress leaders were present at the time his release.
Sarkar was killed on May 14, 1998, while returning from a meeting of party workers in Purnea.
A division bench of Patna High Court Justice VN Singh and Justice KK Lal set aside the February 2008 conviction of Yadav and co-accused Rajan Tiwari and Anil Kumar Yadav. The High Court acquitted all three of all charges in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Air India to fly unconfirmed first AC passengers of Rajdhani
- Vijay Mallya to be declared PO if he doesn't turn up by July 27
- 7th CPC: Who else is going to benefit from central govt employees' pay hike?
- Sanjeev Rajput wins silver in 50m Rifle 3 Positions
- Google Maps introduces HD satellite imagery from Landsat 8 – Enjoy the view!