Pappu Yadav released from jail
Patna: Four days after the court acquitted former RJD MP Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav on charges of killing CPI-M leader Ajit Sarkar, he was formally released from jail here on Tuesday, police officials said.
Citing lack of evidence, the Patna High Court last Friday acquitted Yadav in the case related to Sarkar`s murder.
Left Front parties in Bihar last Saturday had urged the CBI to appeal in the Supreme Court against the acquittal.
"Yadav was released from the high security Beur Jail here," a police official said.
Hundreds of Yadav`s supporters had gathered outside the jail on Tuesday morning. They shouted slogans in his favour and distributed sweets after he was released.
Yadav`s wife and former MP Ranjita Ranjan and several RJD and Congress leaders were present at the time his release.
Sarkar was killed on May 14, 1998, while returning from a meeting of party workers in Purnea.
A division bench of Patna High Court Justice VN Singh and Justice KK Lal set aside the February 2008 conviction of Yadav and co-accused Rajan Tiwari and Anil Kumar Yadav. The High Court acquitted all three of all charges in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden