Pappu Yadav released from jail
Patna: Four days after the court acquitted former RJD MP Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav on charges of killing CPI-M leader Ajit Sarkar, he was formally released from jail here on Tuesday, police officials said.
Citing lack of evidence, the Patna High Court last Friday acquitted Yadav in the case related to Sarkar`s murder.
Left Front parties in Bihar last Saturday had urged the CBI to appeal in the Supreme Court against the acquittal.
"Yadav was released from the high security Beur Jail here," a police official said.
Hundreds of Yadav`s supporters had gathered outside the jail on Tuesday morning. They shouted slogans in his favour and distributed sweets after he was released.
Yadav`s wife and former MP Ranjita Ranjan and several RJD and Congress leaders were present at the time his release.
Sarkar was killed on May 14, 1998, while returning from a meeting of party workers in Purnea.
A division bench of Patna High Court Justice VN Singh and Justice KK Lal set aside the February 2008 conviction of Yadav and co-accused Rajan Tiwari and Anil Kumar Yadav. The High Court acquitted all three of all charges in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you