Pappu Yadav released from jail
Patna: Four days after the court acquitted former RJD MP Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav on charges of killing CPI-M leader Ajit Sarkar, he was formally released from jail here on Tuesday, police officials said.
Citing lack of evidence, the Patna High Court last Friday acquitted Yadav in the case related to Sarkar`s murder.
Left Front parties in Bihar last Saturday had urged the CBI to appeal in the Supreme Court against the acquittal.
"Yadav was released from the high security Beur Jail here," a police official said.
Hundreds of Yadav`s supporters had gathered outside the jail on Tuesday morning. They shouted slogans in his favour and distributed sweets after he was released.
Yadav`s wife and former MP Ranjita Ranjan and several RJD and Congress leaders were present at the time his release.
Sarkar was killed on May 14, 1998, while returning from a meeting of party workers in Purnea.
A division bench of Patna High Court Justice VN Singh and Justice KK Lal set aside the February 2008 conviction of Yadav and co-accused Rajan Tiwari and Anil Kumar Yadav. The High Court acquitted all three of all charges in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!