Pappu Yadav released from jail
Patna: Four days after the court acquitted former RJD MP Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav on charges of killing CPI-M leader Ajit Sarkar, he was formally released from jail here on Tuesday, police officials said.
Citing lack of evidence, the Patna High Court last Friday acquitted Yadav in the case related to Sarkar`s murder.
Left Front parties in Bihar last Saturday had urged the CBI to appeal in the Supreme Court against the acquittal.
"Yadav was released from the high security Beur Jail here," a police official said.
Hundreds of Yadav`s supporters had gathered outside the jail on Tuesday morning. They shouted slogans in his favour and distributed sweets after he was released.
Yadav`s wife and former MP Ranjita Ranjan and several RJD and Congress leaders were present at the time his release.
Sarkar was killed on May 14, 1998, while returning from a meeting of party workers in Purnea.
A division bench of Patna High Court Justice VN Singh and Justice KK Lal set aside the February 2008 conviction of Yadav and co-accused Rajan Tiwari and Anil Kumar Yadav. The High Court acquitted all three of all charges in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand