Parents of Bihar youth lodged in Pak jail demand his return
Sitamarhi (Bihar): Terrified by life- threatening attack on death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh in Pakistan, parents of a youth in Bihar`s Sitamarhi district, who is currently lodged in Lahore jail, on Wednesday expressed fear and demanded government`s immediate intervention to bring him home.
"We fear Ranjit might also meet the same fate. Indian government should bring my son back to me," his sobbing mother told reporters.
Son of a poor farmer Baliram Thakur, the youth hailing from Manoharwa village under Pupri police station of Bihar`s Sitamarhi district had gone to Delhi 12 years back to earn livelihood.
"Initially he used to write letter to us but later on we did not hear anything from him," his mother said.
The family got a shock when a local police officer came to them last year with a letter dated June 8, 2012 from Lahore jail sent by state Home ministry for verification of the youth.
The Lahore jail letter mentioned his name as Raju Babu Sahay but after seeing the photograph his parents identified him and said his name is Ranjit Kumar Thakur.
Still in dark as how he reached Pakistan and what was his crime, the family has been making prayers for his release for long.
The brutal attack on Sarabjit and his death-like condition in a Pakistan hospital has led to apprehension about their son`s safety in Pakistan.
"I do not know whether I will be able to see my son forever...Indian government shall bring my son to me," his mother said with tears in her eyes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city