Parties issue whip in Bihar as stage set for RS polls
Patna: Ruling NDA and opposition RJD-LJP combine have issued whips to its MLAs as the presence of BG Uday, a Bangalore-based businessman, has paved the way for a keen contest to five Rajya Sabha seats from Bihar Thursday.
Thursday`s elections will also decide the fate of LJP supremo Ram Vilas Paswan, sources said.
Uday`s entry as the sixth candidate against five vacant Upper House seats from Bihar has led the strategists in the ruling NDA and opposition RJD-LJP camps to keep a close watch on fence-sitters among its MLAs as it has fuelled speculation of horse-trading.
RJD deputy leader in the state Assembly Shakeel Ahmed Khan said, "We have issued a whip and quota will be allotted to our electorate (MLAs) and the MLA will vote in accordance with the allotted quota".
The Legislature party meetings of the ruling JD(U)-BJP combine are to be held here this evening, party sources said.
Dadan Pahalwan, who along with nine BSP MLAs and Independents proposed Uday for the nomination, said "Uday is a great entrepreneur. If he is elected to the Rajya Sabha he
will make investment in Bihar. We are all supporting him."
Uday`s presence might queer the pitch for the official RJD candidate Ramkripal Yadav.
The RJD-LJP combine has only 68 MLAs against the requirement of 76 to ensure the victory of its two nominees Ram Vilas Paswan and Yadav.
The LJP, along with the CPI, has issued a whip to its MLAs to vote for Paswan.
The combination is heavily dependent on the Congress (10 MLAs), Left and Independents to see its candidates through.
On the other hand, the BJP-JD(U), which constitutes the ruling NDA, has 137 MLAs - 23 surplus over 114 required to send three of its official candidates to the Rajya Sabha.
While the JD(U) has fielded R C P Singh and Upendra Kushwaha, the BJP has fielded Rajiv Pratap Rudy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India