Paswan demands President rule in Bihar
Patna: Lokjanshakti Party president Ramvilas Paswan on Tuesday demanded imposition of President rule in Bihar in the wake of `brutal` police baton charge on agitating teachers which attracted adverse comments from Supreme Court.
"The Supreme Court`s strong comments on the brutal police baton charge on agitating teachers has exposed the hollowness of Nitish Kumar`s slogan of `sushan` (good governance)," he told reporters here.
Bihar Police on March 5 had resorted to a baton charge and fired tear gas shells during a protest by contractual teachers outside the Assembly demanding regularisation of their jobs and pay parity with regular teachers.
Paswan, who returned to Patna today after covering 26 districts during his "Bihar bachao" campaign, pointed to an alleged spate of other incidents in support of his demand for President`s rule.
Paswan also mentioned the police baton charge on students here during the day demanding the arrest of culprits who shot dead a student at Bhikhana Pahari area last night.
He said LJP`s campaign for imposition of central rule in the state would continue till April 12 in districts left out by him this time.
The campaign would highlight the problems faced by the people of the state.
Asked to comment on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s praise of Kumar for the state`s fast growth rate, Paswan said he was not aware under what circumstance the PM said so.
"But if Bihar is developing so fast under Nitish Kumar why is he and his party organising a rally in Delhi on March 17 in support of demand for special category state status to spur growth process?" he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH