Paswan seeks Rs 10 lakh compensation for boat victims
Patna: Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) chief
Ramvilas Paswan on Wednesday held the state administration
responsible for the boat tragedy in Bihar`s Khagaria district
on Vijaya Dashami day which claimed 61 lives and said Rs 10
lakh should be extended as compensation to the next of kin.
"The state government is responsible for not taking
steps to stop overcrowding of boats...It is sheer failure on
its parts," the former Union minister said.
Paswan slammed the state government for not acquiring
land for a rail bridge at Khagaria and constructing the road
bridges and culverts under Alauli assembly constituency
represented by his brother and state LJP chief Pashupati Kumar
He demanded that the state government make available
ex-gratia of Rs 10 lakh to the bereaved families, besides a
Sonia Gandhi condoles deaths
Congress President Sonia Gandhi
today expressed sorrow over the death of women and children in
two boat tragedies in Bihar and requested the state government
to take steps to avoid their recurrence.
"I am very pained to hear that 11 women and children
have died and 40 others are missing in two separate incidents
of boat capsize in Bagmati river in Khagadia and Kosi river in
Darbhanga districts of Bihar", she said.
"The heart-rending incident happening at the time of
Durga Puja, a festival of happiness is quite painful," Gandhi
said in a press release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!