Paswan seeks Rs 10 lakh compensation for boat victims
Patna: Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) chief
Ramvilas Paswan on Wednesday held the state administration
responsible for the boat tragedy in Bihar`s Khagaria district
on Vijaya Dashami day which claimed 61 lives and said Rs 10
lakh should be extended as compensation to the next of kin.
"The state government is responsible for not taking
steps to stop overcrowding of boats...It is sheer failure on
its parts," the former Union minister said.
Paswan slammed the state government for not acquiring
land for a rail bridge at Khagaria and constructing the road
bridges and culverts under Alauli assembly constituency
represented by his brother and state LJP chief Pashupati Kumar
He demanded that the state government make available
ex-gratia of Rs 10 lakh to the bereaved families, besides a
Sonia Gandhi condoles deaths
Congress President Sonia Gandhi
today expressed sorrow over the death of women and children in
two boat tragedies in Bihar and requested the state government
to take steps to avoid their recurrence.
"I am very pained to hear that 11 women and children
have died and 40 others are missing in two separate incidents
of boat capsize in Bagmati river in Khagadia and Kosi river in
Darbhanga districts of Bihar", she said.
"The heart-rending incident happening at the time of
Durga Puja, a festival of happiness is quite painful," Gandhi
said in a press release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi