Paswan slams Nitish Govt on foodgrains, PMGSY
Patna: Accusing Nitish Kumar government of
`failing` to ensure offtake of foodgrains for BPL families and
utilising funds under Pradhan Mantri Gramnin Sadak Rojgar
Yojana (PMGSY), LJP president Ramvilas Paswan today demanded
an explanation from the government.
Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar had in reply to a
starred question in Lok Sabha had highlighted `failure` of
Bihar to ensure offtake of allocated foodgrains for BPL
families and under other welfare schemes, he told reporters.
The state government was able to draw 20.51 lakh tonnes
of foodgrains against the allocation of 34.37 lakh tonnes
during 2009-10 for BPL families, besides 2.02 lakh tonnes
against the allocation of 2.87 lakh tonnes of foodgrains under
other welfare schemes, Paswan claimed.
The offtake of the foodgrains was `very scanty` and the
state government should explain why it failed to ensure
offtake of the allocation made, Paswan said.
Similarly, Union Rural Development Minister C P Joshi
had also accused the state government of failing to utilise
the allotment of Rs 17000 crore fund under the PMGSY, he said
adding the state had been able to utilise only Rs 3000 crore.
Paswan also charged the state government with failing
to send relief to the tornado-hit people in Seemanchal Belt.
Over 100 people had died and thousands of families were
affected "but the relief has so far remain far from
satisfactory," he alleged.
Paswan demanded an ex-gratia payment of Rs 10 lakh to
the families of each of deceased, and Rs 1.50 lakh to people
whose houses were destroyed in the tornado on April 14 in
Araria, Purnia, Kishanganj, Katihar and Supaul districts.
He also demanded that the state government provide
details of the expenses of the financial package given to the
state for the flood-hit areas of Kosi belt in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP