Patna blasts suspect who escaped from custody rearrested in Kanpur
Zee Media Bureau
Patna: Meher Alam, a terror suspect in the Patna serial blasts who fled from a toilet in Muzaffarpur while being brought here from Darbhanga district, was rearrested on Thursday.
According to report, Alam was traced travelling in a train and was arrested and taken into National Investigating Agency (NIA) custody near Kanpur.
Alam is said to be travelling in Delhi bound Rajdhani Express.
He will now be interrogated by the NIA. Alam, 25, is not only a terror suspect in the string of bombings that took place here Sunday before BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi was to address a rally, he is also suspected for the blasts at Bodhgaya in July this year.
Alam was arrested in Bihar`s Darbhanga district, and was being brought to the state capital by a National Investigation Agency team.
He said he wanted to go to the toilet near Muzaffarpur, but did not return, police said.
Officials, however, were unwilling to confirm whether the terror suspect made good his escape Wednesday night or early Thursday.
While some police officials said the escape took place late Wednesday, there were also those who said it happened Thursday morning.
After he managed to slip, the NIA had filed a missing person report and claimed that he is not a terror suspect but a witness in the Patna blasts case.
Sleuths raided several places in Bihar to hunt down those who unleashed a string of bombings here that left six dead and over 80 injured.
Six of the seven blasts took place Sunday at Patna`s Gandhi Maidan. The seventh explosion was at the railway station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader