Patna blasts suspect who escaped from custody rearrested in Kanpur
Zee Media Bureau
Patna: Meher Alam, a terror suspect in the Patna serial blasts who fled from a toilet in Muzaffarpur while being brought here from Darbhanga district, was rearrested on Thursday.
According to report, Alam was traced travelling in a train and was arrested and taken into National Investigating Agency (NIA) custody near Kanpur.
Alam is said to be travelling in Delhi bound Rajdhani Express.
He will now be interrogated by the NIA. Alam, 25, is not only a terror suspect in the string of bombings that took place here Sunday before BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi was to address a rally, he is also suspected for the blasts at Bodhgaya in July this year.
Alam was arrested in Bihar`s Darbhanga district, and was being brought to the state capital by a National Investigation Agency team.
He said he wanted to go to the toilet near Muzaffarpur, but did not return, police said.
Officials, however, were unwilling to confirm whether the terror suspect made good his escape Wednesday night or early Thursday.
While some police officials said the escape took place late Wednesday, there were also those who said it happened Thursday morning.
After he managed to slip, the NIA had filed a missing person report and claimed that he is not a terror suspect but a witness in the Patna blasts case.
Sleuths raided several places in Bihar to hunt down those who unleashed a string of bombings here that left six dead and over 80 injured.
Six of the seven blasts took place Sunday at Patna`s Gandhi Maidan. The seventh explosion was at the railway station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials