Patna College needs urgent restoration, say experts
Patna: British author EM Forster referred to it in his book "A Passage to India" and director Satyajit Ray shot his award-winning film "Seemabaddha" on its picturesque campus, but today this 150-year-old institution is in dire need of restoration, both "institutional" and "architectural".
Hailed once as the `Oxford of the East`, Patna College will tomorrow complete 151 years of its existence.
However, its famed hostels and celebrated corridors built more than a century ago have now become a "picture of decay" owing to lack of repair and has left many of its alumni miffed at the state of affairs in the "once-beloved" campus.
Alumnus Shanker Dutt, who did his BA (English) from it during the tumultuous year of the Emergency in 1975, still fondly recalls the academic ambience and rues the decline in educational quality and institutional standards that have taken the "shine off this towering beacon".
"Patna College was not just an iconic symbol of education but of the city as a whole. It was in many ways a seminary of cultural refinements, a crucible of excellence, a veritable symbol of Patna, all that has been lost today," Dutt said.
Now a professor of English at the Patna University, to which the College is affiliated to, Dutt says, after "decades of decay" what the campus now needs is both an "architectural and an institutional restoration".
Eminent historian and author Surendra Gopal and an alumnus himself appealed to the authorities for immediate restoration of the "prized murals in the East Wing".
"I am worried about the iconic Greek-styled murals and motifs inside its East Wing hall of the administration block, crying for restoration before they get lost forever. The government must ensure they are systematically restored," Gopal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister