Patna gang rape: Main accused given 5-day transit remand
Shimla: The main accused in the infamous Patna gangrape case, Prashant Jha, was on Thursday produced before a local court which gave his five-day transit remand to Bihar police for further probe.
Jha had surrendered at Boileau Ganj police station of Shimla late last night, Superintendent of Police Chander Shekhar said.
Prashant was handed over to a Bihar police team headed by a sub-inspector and taken to Patna, where a case of rape had been registered against him, he said.
Earlier in the day, Jha was produced before a local court which allowed Bihar police his five-day transit remand to take him to Patna for further investigation in the case.
A minor girl was allegedly gang-raped in Patna by five school students on June 14, and CDs and MMS of the act were circulated, according to an FIR lodged by Bihar Women`s Commission.
"For past few days, Jha aged about 18 years was staying with his uncle at Shoghi near Shimla," Shekhar said.
Rishabh and Arman, the two other accused in the case, have already been arrested in Bihar.
Jha, a student of Class XI in a Patna school, told police that he had come to Himachal from Delhi (where he attended coaching classes for engineering examination) to inquire about the admissions at an IT University in Waknaghat.
Police said Jha had confessed that he along with three others had sexually assaulted the minor girl on June 14 in a flat at Rajvanshi Nagar in Patna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes