Patna goes green for Lalu Prasad Yadav’s Parivartan Rally today
Zee Media Bureau
Patna: In a bid to reassert his popularity, Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad Yadav will on Wednesday kick off Parivartan Rally from here.
Keeping in mind how crucial the rally is, RJD has booked 13 special trains to transport people to the event in Patna.
The rally, the second after he was ousted from power in 2005, will be held at Gandhi Maidan here. According to critics, Lalu will use the rally as a platform to install his two sons, Tejpratap and Tarun, in prominent positions in the party.
The popularity of Lalu has been lying low since the decimation of RJD in the General Elections and 2010 Assembly polls in the state.
RJD general secretary Ramkripal Yadav said the rally would decide the future course of politics in Bihar.
Ignoring the scorching mid-May heat, hundreds of thousands of people arrived in the Bihar capital for the Parivartan Rally.
Green, the RJD`s official colour, appeared to be the colour of the day. RJD workers, sporting green caps and holding green flags and banners, put up hundreds of welcome arches and hoardings in the party colour.
All roads leading to the historic Gandhi Maidan had been crowded since Tuesday night with RJD supporters.
The RJD hired 13 special trains to ferry workers and supporters to Patna for the rally. East Central Railway Chief Public Relation Officer Amitabh Prabhakar said that over Rs 1.11 crore payment has been taken by Railways for booking the trains.
Besides, supporters from across the state came in hundreds of buses, cars and other vehicles.
Over the past week, the RJD chief and his top party leaders have been busy mobilising supporters to reach Patna for the rally. Lalu Prasad`s two sons Tejasvi Yadav and Tej Pratap also campaigned day and night for the rally.
"The Parivartan Rally will set a new record, as over one million people are expected to attend it," an RJD leader said.
Lalu is known for organising massive rallies in the past to deliver a political message to his supporters and rivals alike.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report