Patna HC overturns order, acquits 9 in mass murder case
Patna: The Patna High Court on Wednesday overturned the order of life imprisonment to nine people in a 13 year-old mass murder case and acquitted them, citing lack of evidence.
A division bench comprising Justice V N Sinha and Justice A K Lal passed the order overturning the life terms awarded to the nine people for lack of evidence in the mass murder case of 34 dalits at Miapur village in Bihar`s Aurangabad district 13 years ago.
The court also ordered their release if they were not wanted in any other case.
The division bench at the same time upheld the life term awarded to one accused named Avinash Chandra Sharma alias Avinash Chandra, who too was convictd by the Aurangabad court along with the nine others in the same case six years ago.
A total 34 dalits, including women and children, were massacred allegedly by Ranvir Sena activists at Miapur on June 16, 2000.
Aurangabad additional district judge Krishna Kant Dwivedi had found ten persons charged in the mass murder case guilty and had awarded them life terms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH