Patna HC overturns order, acquits 9 in mass murder case
Patna: The Patna High Court on Wednesday overturned the order of life imprisonment to nine people in a 13 year-old mass murder case and acquitted them, citing lack of evidence.
A division bench comprising Justice V N Sinha and Justice A K Lal passed the order overturning the life terms awarded to the nine people for lack of evidence in the mass murder case of 34 dalits at Miapur village in Bihar`s Aurangabad district 13 years ago.
The court also ordered their release if they were not wanted in any other case.
The division bench at the same time upheld the life term awarded to one accused named Avinash Chandra Sharma alias Avinash Chandra, who too was convictd by the Aurangabad court along with the nine others in the same case six years ago.
A total 34 dalits, including women and children, were massacred allegedly by Ranvir Sena activists at Miapur on June 16, 2000.
Aurangabad additional district judge Krishna Kant Dwivedi had found ten persons charged in the mass murder case guilty and had awarded them life terms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Gurdaspur terror attack- As it happened
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- APJ Abdul Kalam: Not Hindu, Not Muslim – Death of an 'Indian'
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India