Patna HC scraps appointment of 6 VCs and 4 pro-VCs
Patna: The Patna High Court Friday scrapped the appointment of six vice-chancellors and four pro- -vice-chancellors made by Governor, in his capacity as the Chancellor of the Universities, in Bihar.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice Rekha M Doshit and Justice A Amanullah passed the order scrapping the appointment of the six VCs and four Pro-VCs on the ground that the Governor, in his capacity as the Chancellor of the Universities, had made these appointments without consulting the state government as under section 10(2) of the Bihar State Universities Act, 1976 and the Patna University Act, 1976.
The court further directed the Chancellor to make a fresh list of candidates for appointment of the six VCs and four Pro-VCs within a week and asked the state government to make appointment against these posts within 30 days.
The petitioners Prof. Janardan Singh and Ram Kamakhya Singh had filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) challenging the appointment of the six VCs and four Pro-VCs by the Chancellor without consultation with the state government as required under the provisions of the Bihar State Universities Act, 1976, and the Patna University Act, 1976.
The VCs, whose appointment has been cancelled by the Patna High court are Patna University VC Shambhunath Singh, BRA University VC Vimal Kumar, Jai Prakash University VC Ramvinod Singh, BN Mandal University Arun Kumar, Mazhrul Haque Arabic and Persian University VC Md. Samsuzoha and Kameshwar Singh Sanskrit University VC Arvind Kumar Pandey.
Patna University Pro-VC J P Singh, B N Mandal University Pro-VC P K Verma, Lalit Narayan Mishra University Pro-VC K P Singh and Mazhrul Haque Arabic and Persian University Pro-VC Sultana K Jabin`s appointments too have been annulled by the High Court.
The Patna High Ccourt had reserved its order in the case in August, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender