Patna hospital probing treatment-denied HIV+ man`s death
Patna: A probe began on Tuesday into the death of a HIV positive man at the Patna Medical College and Hospital after he was allegedly refused dialysis treatment by some doctors last week, an official said.
The man, in his mid-40s, died on March 01 after battling for life for five days following the refusal of treatment, according to his relatives.
PMCH principle Amar Kant Jha said that a three-member team of doctors has started investigations into the case and he has also sought a clarification from the head of the nephrology department.
"I have asked the team to submit the probe report within two days," Jha said.
Jha told a news agency that the PMCH has taken the matter seriously.
"The team was told to investigate the cause of death of the HIV positive man and why he was not provided dialysis if it was required," he said.
Jha said that the report will also highlight negligence if any and identify the guilty, who will be punished.
The HIV positive man from Saran district was admitted to the PMCH on Feb 24. After a check up and tests in the medicine department, doctors referred him to the nephrology department for dialysis. But doctors there refused him despite his and his relatives` repeated requests.
This was not the first such case in PMCH. Last September, a 45-year-old HIV positive woman, who was suffering from intestinal obstruction, died after doctors refused to operate on her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days