Patna hospital probing treatment-denied HIV+ man`s death
Patna: A probe began on Tuesday into the death of a HIV positive man at the Patna Medical College and Hospital after he was allegedly refused dialysis treatment by some doctors last week, an official said.
The man, in his mid-40s, died on March 01 after battling for life for five days following the refusal of treatment, according to his relatives.
PMCH principle Amar Kant Jha said that a three-member team of doctors has started investigations into the case and he has also sought a clarification from the head of the nephrology department.
"I have asked the team to submit the probe report within two days," Jha said.
Jha told a news agency that the PMCH has taken the matter seriously.
"The team was told to investigate the cause of death of the HIV positive man and why he was not provided dialysis if it was required," he said.
Jha said that the report will also highlight negligence if any and identify the guilty, who will be punished.
The HIV positive man from Saran district was admitted to the PMCH on Feb 24. After a check up and tests in the medicine department, doctors referred him to the nephrology department for dialysis. But doctors there refused him despite his and his relatives` repeated requests.
This was not the first such case in PMCH. Last September, a 45-year-old HIV positive woman, who was suffering from intestinal obstruction, died after doctors refused to operate on her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal