Patna to get tallest Gandhi statue on October 2
Patna: Bihar will pay a befitting tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on his 143rd birth anniversary on October 2. The state government plans to install a 40-foot-tall bronze statue of the father of the nation in the state capital.
"The world`s tallest statue of Gandhi will come up in Patna," KP Ramaiah, a government official, said.
According to officials, the statue will be installed at the historic Gandhi Maidan in the heart of the city.
Currently a 12-15 feet high statue of Gandhi stands in the Maidan. It had been installed in the mid-1990s by then chief minister Lalu Prasad.
Anil Sutar, a Delhi-based sculptor, was commissioned by the state government last year to create the 25-tonne statue, which cost Rs 40 crore. It will be taken to Patna from Delhi next month, an official said.
Anil`s father Ram Sutar is known for his statue of Gandhi, which has been displayed in more than 50 countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly