Patna to get tallest Gandhi statue on October 2
Patna: Bihar will pay a befitting tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on his 143rd birth anniversary on October 2. The state government plans to install a 40-foot-tall bronze statue of the father of the nation in the state capital.
"The world`s tallest statue of Gandhi will come up in Patna," KP Ramaiah, a government official, said.
According to officials, the statue will be installed at the historic Gandhi Maidan in the heart of the city.
Currently a 12-15 feet high statue of Gandhi stands in the Maidan. It had been installed in the mid-1990s by then chief minister Lalu Prasad.
Anil Sutar, a Delhi-based sculptor, was commissioned by the state government last year to create the 25-tonne statue, which cost Rs 40 crore. It will be taken to Patna from Delhi next month, an official said.
Anil`s father Ram Sutar is known for his statue of Gandhi, which has been displayed in more than 50 countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic