Patrolman run over, Rajdhani Express, other trains stranded
Kolkata: At least five trains, including Delhi-Howrah Rajdhani, were stranded for over three hours on Saturday as locals squatted on the tracks after a Railways patrolman was run over and killed near Mankatha station in Bihar`s Lakhisarai district.
Public Relation Officer of ECR Danapur division R K Singh told PTI the Railways patrolman was run over and killed by a goods train near Mankatha station while he was on track inspection duty this morning.
The deceased railway employee was identified as 42-year-old Ramsevak Mandal, a native of Jawaish village of Lakhisarai district.
The agitation at Mankatha in Kiul-Mokama section of Danapur division of East Central Railway started at around 7 AM to demand an over bridge at the station, Railways sources said.
As locals squatted on railway tracks, many trains including the 2306 New Delhi-Howrah Rajdhani Express was stranded at Barhiya station.
2024 Patna-Howrah Janshatabdi and Himgiri Express were among trains held up in different stations in Danapur division, officials said.
The agitation was withdrawn and train services resumed around 11.30 AM with the intervention of the district administration, Singh said.
Students going to appear in Intermediate examination that started today had a harrowing time due to disruption of trains movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'
- Bandits kill 31 bush taxi passengers in Madagascar
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un hails successful test of new missile, says it can strike US Pacific bases
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends
- UEFA Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo rescues Portugal; Belgium seal last-16 berth in Zlatan Ibrahimovic's farewell