People excited over special status to Bihar: Nitish
Patna: The Holi this year has brought added joy to the people of Bihar amid heightening excitement and anticipation that the state could be granted special status, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said on Wednesday.
Celebrating Holi at his official residence, Kumar could not hide his joy with the Centre reportedly considering to grant `backward` status to the state and said: "this Holi appears to be special."
"A buzz is doing the rounds in the corridors of the power at the Centre over the special status demand for Bihar. The people too are talking about it with great excitement and anticipation that their due demand will be met soon," he said.
"I too believe that our long battle over special status has entered into a decisive phase with the Centre being favourably disposed to the revisiting the criteria for special status," the Chief Minister said referring to similar views expressed by Union Finance Minister P Chidambaran and other top UPA government functionaries recently.
Greeting the people for Holi, Kumar said the Centre must have realized that it would not be possible to ignore aspirations of over 10.38 crore people of Bihar, going by the success of a public meeting at the Ramlila grounds in New Delhi earlier this month.
"The Centre must have taken note of the message sent by the people of Bihar who have showcased unity and solidarity to press for the special status demand," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez