‘People take pride in being called Biharis’
Dubai: Asserting that Bihar`s soil has "tremendous power", math wizard and `Super 30` founder Anand Kumar on Friday said the people from the state have proved their mettle in every field due to their ability to work hard and perform.
"Be it the green revolution in Punjab or technological boom in metros and elsewhere, Biharis have proved their mettle in every field due to their ability to work hard and perform," he said.
Anand made the remarks at the grand Bihar centenary year celebration in the Saudi capital Riyadh, where he was the chief guest.
The event was organised by the Bihar International Society for Welfare and Solidarity in association with Bihar Foundation. A large number of non-resident Biharis and other non-resident Indians participated in the function.
"Now, people take pride in being called a Bihari, which was not the case earlier due to stigma of backwardness. Today, Bihar is among the fastest growing states in India.
"Bihar`s soil has tremendous power. It has been the land of three great spiritual leaders Gautam Buddha, Mahavir and Guru Govind Singh and now time has come to revive its past glory," Anand said.
Maintaining that Biharis had now realised their potential and were committed to usher in change, he said the people in the state were now demanding schools for their children, not jobs from politicians. "There is a kind of awakening, with children, especially girls, going to schools in big numbers," Anand said, in a jam-packed hall.
Organising Secretary of the society Obaidur Rahman said that Bihar Diwas function would go a long way in boosting the morale of nearly two?lakh Biharis living in Saudi Arabia.
"They were very excited for this function, which has turned to be a home away from home for them," he added.
Others present at the function included Deputy Chairman of the state legislative council Saleem Parvez, Manohar Ram from the Indian embassy in Riyadh and a host of other dignitaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?