Permanent solution needed for Bihar flood situation: Congress
New Delhi: Reacting to reports of flood like situation in Bihar, Congress leader Rashid Alvi on Sunday said that such a situation arises every year and the government must think of a permanent solution for the issue.
"Such a situation arises every year in Bihar and many other parts of the country. I think the government must think of a permanent solution to this," said Alvi.
Meanwhile, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) leader Manoj Jha criticised the central government saying the area did not even have a disaster management system.
"The Prime minister should come out of his lectures. This area does not even have a disaster management system and therefore it should be kept on alert. The government should take their work seriously and protect the people," said Jha.
A huge evacuation drive has been launched in eight districts of Bihar and the state government has been put on high alert due to the Kosi flood threat.
Bihar Government has started taking action for evacuation of persons living in villages lying within the embankment area in 22 panchayats of Supaul district and other seven districts of the state.
Relief camps including cattle relief camps are being organised for the evacuated families.
The Prime Minister has directed that all possible help should be provided to the affected areas. 8 teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and 4 teams of the State Disaster Response Force have been pressed into service.
An additional 7 teams of the NDRF are being mobilized from neighboring state of West Bengal.
As per information received from the Nepalese Authorities, the flow of the river Sunkoshi/Bhotekoshi in Mangkha Village Development Committee area in Sindhupalchowk District has been blocked on account of landslide.
The formation of a large water body can create a potential danger of inundation in areas downstream of the Kosi barrage which is about 270 Kms from location of the blockage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people