PIL against Lalu Prasad over distribution of party symbols
Patna: A PIL was filed today in the Patna High Court questioning the legitimacy of distribution of the party symbol to candidates by RJD President Lalu Prasad who, it held, could not hold the post after conviction in a corruption case.
The Public Interest Litigation was filed by rebel RJD MLA Samrat Chaudhary.
The petitioner`s lawyer S P K Manglam said that as per rule 21 of the RJD Constitution anyone convicted in a corruption case would lose primary membership of the party.
On that account, Prasad who was convicted by a Ranchi court in a fodder scam case was not eligible to hold the party president`s post and distribution of symbols to candidates was illegal, he said.
Samrat Chaudhary who led the defection of 13 RJD MLAs and his father Shakuni Chaudhary had been suspended by the RJD.
Reacting to it, Prasad did not give much credence to the PIL against him.
"I am the party boss and as president of RJD have freedom to take a decision in the party and a court cannot not intervene in this," he told reporters.
Samrat Chaudhary had also approached the Election Commission on the same issue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive