PK Shahi JD(U) candidate for Maharajganj LS by-poll
Patna: Ruling JD(U) on Saturday announced the name of Bihar Education Minister P K Shahi as the party candidate for Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat.
In a press statement, state JD (U) president Bashist Narayan Singh declared the name of Shahi, a close confidante of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, as the candidate for the Maharajganj parliamentary seat going to by-poll on June 2.
RJD has decided to field ex-MP Prabhunath Singh from the constituency.
By-elections to Maharajganj has been necessitated due to death of RJD MP Umashankar Singh.
Prabhunath Singh had lost the last Lok Sabha election from the same constituency in Saran district as JD (U) candidate. Later, he fell out with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and quit the party to join Lalu Prasad`s RJD.
Shahi, who had served as Advocate General of Bihar in the previous rule of Nitish Kumar, is presently state`s Education minister.
Congress has so far not made its stand on Maharajganj seat clear. Party leaders including Congress national spokesman Shakeel Ahmad has said that the party would not enter into tie-up with anybody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand