PK Shahi JD(U) candidate for Maharajganj LS by-poll
Patna: Ruling JD(U) on Saturday announced the name of Bihar Education Minister P K Shahi as the party candidate for Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat.
In a press statement, state JD (U) president Bashist Narayan Singh declared the name of Shahi, a close confidante of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, as the candidate for the Maharajganj parliamentary seat going to by-poll on June 2.
RJD has decided to field ex-MP Prabhunath Singh from the constituency.
By-elections to Maharajganj has been necessitated due to death of RJD MP Umashankar Singh.
Prabhunath Singh had lost the last Lok Sabha election from the same constituency in Saran district as JD (U) candidate. Later, he fell out with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and quit the party to join Lalu Prasad`s RJD.
Shahi, who had served as Advocate General of Bihar in the previous rule of Nitish Kumar, is presently state`s Education minister.
Congress has so far not made its stand on Maharajganj seat clear. Party leaders including Congress national spokesman Shakeel Ahmad has said that the party would not enter into tie-up with anybody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!