PK Shahi JD(U) candidate for Maharajganj LS by-poll
Patna: Ruling JD(U) on Saturday announced the name of Bihar Education Minister PK Shahi as the party candidate for Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat.
In a press statement, state JD (U) president Bashist Narayan Singh declared the name of Shahi, a close confidante of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, as the candidate for the Maharajganj parliamentary seat going to by-poll on June 2.
RJD has decided to field ex-MP Prabhunath Singh from the constituency.
By-elections to Maharajganj has been necessitated due to death of RJD MP Umashankar Singh.
Prabhunath Singh had lost the last Lok Sabha election from the same constituency in Saran district as JD (U) candidate. Later, he fell out with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and quit the party to join Lalu Prasad`s RJD.
Shahi, who had served as Advocate General of Bihar in the previous rule of Nitish Kumar, is presently state`s Education minister.
Congress has so far not made its stand on Maharajganj seat clear. Party leaders including Congress national spokesman Shakeel Ahmad has said that the party would not enter into tie-up with anybody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill