PM daughter`s low profile impresses Bihar officials
Patna: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s daughter Upinder Kaur is visiting Bihar`s historical Buddhist sites since Thursday but as a common tourist-cum-researcher, without any hype, and has left the state officials and police impressed.
A senior police official at police headquarters here said on condition of anonymity that security was provided to her during her visit to historical sites. "(But) there was no high security for her," he said.
"What stunned us was that there was no latka-jhatka (no hype, nothing special as she was alone without any supporter or aide). She behaved as she was a gentle tourist," a district official said.
Upinder Kaur, who is professor of history in Delhi University, visited Rajgir Friday and would Saturday visit ruins of 2,500-year-old Nalanda University, considered to be one of the world`s first residential universities.
"She visited Buddhist caves in Jehananad district and Mahabodi temple Thursday like an intellectual tourist, who was keen to understand these historical sites," said a district official who accompanied her.
A district police official said Upinder Kaur not only tried to understand inscriptions in famous Barbara Caves carved out of the rocks dating back to Mauryan and pre-Mauryan periods, she also captured many sites in her camera for studies.
At Bodh Gaya, Upinder Kaur interacted with a researcher, local officials and a guide after closely observing the 1500-year-old Mahabodi temple, where work is underway to inlay its dome with 289 kg of gold from Thailand, police said.
Jehanabad District Magistrate Mohammad Sohail said she had expressed the desire to revisit the historical sites as she was collecting field study data to write a book.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued