Poacher arrested, 23 kg dolphin oil seized
Patna: A team of forest officials and police recovered 23 kg of dolphin oil and arrested a poacher in separate raids in Patna district, officials said Thursday.
The team raided two houses in Islamganj village and seized 20 kg dolphin oil.
"Dolphin oil was kept in three containers but no arrest was made in this connection as nobody was present at the time of raid," Patna District Forest Officer Surendra Singh said.
In a separate raid, the team arrested Munna Sahni from Takiapar village for his alleged involvement in poaching incidents and sale of dolphin oil.
"We also recovered three kg of dolphin oil from his possession," Singh said.
The drive comes a week after four Ganges river dolphins were killed by suspected poachers. An autopsy revealed that the dolphins were trapped and beaten to death as they bore several marks on their necks and heads.
The Bihar government has decided to launch an awareness campaign to protect the endangered species - declared national aquatic animal early this year.
There are only about 2,000 Ganges river dolphins left, down from tens of thousands just a few decades ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick
- Nargis Fakhri looks smoking hot in this outfit with plunging neckline – See Pics
- BJP leader Yashwant Sinha criticises Modi government on NSG fiasco