Police fire in air after villagers attack cops
Purnia: Police on Saturday fired in the air to
disperse a mob after it torched the Dagarua Police Station,
about 16 km from here, and injured three policemen to protest
the murder of a local.
Md Iqbal alias Nasim, a villager of Chandmari, was
kidnapped on Wednesday and his body floating in a pond near
the village, was recovered this morning, police said.
As the news spread, hundreds of locals collected on the
National Highway near the police station and blocked the road
blaming the police for the kidnapping and murder.
They later surrounded the police station premises and
started beating up the policemen who were present there.
Three policemen, including the Station House Officer
(SHO) Mitesh Kumar, were injured in the attack, sources said,
adding the mob used kerosene to set the police station on
fire. Police had to fire six rounds in the air to scare away
the mob, the sources said.
Superintendent of Police, Purnia, Amit Lodha, arrived at
the police station with reinforcements and bought the
situation under control, they said.
Patrolling was intensified as tension ran high in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert