Police, locals clash near Prez programme venue
Darbhanga (Bihar): Police used batons and burst teargas shells during a clash with locals who tried to gatecrash a university convocation function attended by President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday.
Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Kumar Ekle said the clash took place when the police standing guard prevented the locals from forcibly entering the venue of the convocation of Lalit Narayan Mishra University. Angry at being stopped, the people threw stones at the police injuring some of them.
This prompted the police to lathicharge the mob and burst teargas shells to disperse them, he said.
The crowd also threw stones at the vehicles of the district civil and police officials and smashed their window panes, Ekle said.
It was not immediately known whether anyone was injured in the police action.
The convocation function, which was also attended by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, was unaffected by the clash and the dignitaries left for Patna later, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere