Police, locals clash near Prez programme venue
Darbhanga (Bihar): Police used batons and burst teargas shells during a clash with locals who tried to gatecrash a university convocation function attended by President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday.
Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Kumar Ekle said the clash took place when the police standing guard prevented the locals from forcibly entering the venue of the convocation of Lalit Narayan Mishra University. Angry at being stopped, the people threw stones at the police injuring some of them.
This prompted the police to lathicharge the mob and burst teargas shells to disperse them, he said.
The crowd also threw stones at the vehicles of the district civil and police officials and smashed their window panes, Ekle said.
It was not immediately known whether anyone was injured in the police action.
The convocation function, which was also attended by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, was unaffected by the clash and the dignitaries left for Patna later, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next