Police, locals clash near Prez programme venue
Darbhanga (Bihar): Police used batons and burst teargas shells during a clash with locals who tried to gatecrash a university convocation function attended by President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday.
Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Kumar Ekle said the clash took place when the police standing guard prevented the locals from forcibly entering the venue of the convocation of Lalit Narayan Mishra University. Angry at being stopped, the people threw stones at the police injuring some of them.
This prompted the police to lathicharge the mob and burst teargas shells to disperse them, he said.
The crowd also threw stones at the vehicles of the district civil and police officials and smashed their window panes, Ekle said.
It was not immediately known whether anyone was injured in the police action.
The convocation function, which was also attended by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, was unaffected by the clash and the dignitaries left for Patna later, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read