Poor households will get goats, poultry in Bihar: Nitish
Patna: Poor households in Bihar will be provided poultry and goats free-of-cost so that they get their supplement of nutrition in the form of eggs and milk, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said on Saturday.
"Every poor family will get three goats each through self -help groups (SHGs) as part of a development plan," Kumar said at a function here.
"Besides, 5.50 lakh households each will get 45 hens in three instalments through SHGs," he said, adding that the move would ensure that the poor families get milk and eggs.
To make women economically stronger, Kumar said, the state government has planned to constitute 10 lakh SHGs in five years. Each SHG would comprise of 15 members.
"This way, SHGs will reach to six crore people which is 55-60 per cent population of the state," he said.
The burgeoning population which has risen by 25 per cent in the last 10 years poses a major challenge to the state, he said. "If the population continues to rise at this rate, Bihar`s population would be over 20 crore in 2050," he said.
Population growth rate can be curtailed through popularising education particularly among women, Kumar said.
"It has been reported that if girls are matriculate, their families have only two children...," he said, adding that education could be spread among women effectively by SHGs.
At the same function, Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi said bank interest rate for SHGs should be brought down to 7 per cent like on agricultural loan instead of the current 10-12 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla