Prayers go up in native village for child rape victim
Patna: Villagers in her native village in Bihar have been sending up prayers for the recovery of the five-year-old girl who was brutally raped in the national capital, after she was abducted April 15 and held captive over two days.
As the victim recuperates at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi, angry protestors have been gathering in the streets and on the thoroughfares of the national capital.
In her village in Bihar`s Sitamarhi district, meanwhile, villagers have been expressing their anguish and their solidarity with the little girl in prayer.
"After the shocking news arrived, villagers started special puja for her recovery," said Upendra Prasad who asked this reporter Monday not to reveal the name of the village, saying only that it be identified as located under Kanhauli police station limits in Sitamarhi, about 200 km from the state capital.
Another villager, Ganesh Singh said special puja was being conducted in the premises of the village temple for the full recovery of the little, brutalised girl.
Officials at the police headquarters in the state capital confirmed that the five-year-old victim hailed from a village in Sitamarhi.
Villagers have demanded speedy trial of the case, and capital punishment for those found guilty.
Sanjay Kumar, a villager, said: "The villagers have decided to demand no less than the death penalty for the guilty."
Sanjay Kumar said villagers would block National Highway NO.77, connecting Hajipur to Sonbarsa on the Bihar-Nepal border, if there was delay in justice for the five-year-old.
Delhi Police, with help from Bihar Police, arrested Manoj Kumar, the prime accused, from a village in Mujaffarpur district Saturday last. The 22-year-old accused was hiding in the home of the parents of his 19-year-old wife.
Pradeep Kumar, another accused, was arrested early Monday from Lakhisarai district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday